⁉️Question: Can how you eat make a difference in your plus size weight loss⁉️ YES!! YES!!YES!!
Today Curvy Ladies, I want to share one of my favorite tips on How to Eat for Plus Size Weight Loss. It is a topic I am seriously passionate about because it is an area that I found truly made a difference in my body’s energy, weight loss, digestion, and binge eating. Learning how to eat helped me create an individualized plan for my body to stop dieting, stop the weight loss resistance, and actually experience food freedom.
There are several parts to learning How to Eat for Plus Size Weight Loss, which I will be covering here on the blog over the coming weeks. However today I want to start with a simple and easy to implement strategy. Chewing!
Remember how you mom used to fuss at you at the dinner table to chew and not inhale your food like an animal? Well, there was good reasoning behind that, besides teaching table manners. 😂
⁉️Why Is Chewing Important?⁉️
- Easier Digestion – First of all, when chewing food, you break down food into smaller particles, so they can be more easily digested. This will help with bloating, gas and reflux. Hallelujah!!
2. More Nutrient absorption – Second when you throughly chew your food your body can extract the most nutrients from your meal. Coated with lubricating saliva, small bits can more easily make their way down the esophagus and into the small intestine. Which the intestines is where the body absorbs the most of the nutrients. Win win for the body.
3. Your Food Gets More Exposure to Your Saliva – Saliva contains digestive enzymes. These babies are your friend. The longer you chew, the more time these enzymes have to start breaking down your food. Your saliva also helps to lubricate your food so it’s easier on your esophagus. making digestion easier on your stomach and small intestine. Also, the enzymes work magic on your body by helping break down the macronutrients in the food. For example, one enzyme, the lingual lipase, helps break down fats.
“The five senses of hearing, taste, smell, touch and sight play an integral role in the dining experience .”
4. Maintain a Healthy Weight (Or lose if you need to)– The longer you chew, the more time it will take you to finish a meal, and research shows that eating slowly can help you to eat less and, ultimately, to avoid weight gain or even lose weight. For example, chewing your food twice as long as you normally would will instantly help you control your portion sizes, which naturally decreases calorie consumption.
It takes time about 20 minutes for your brain to send the signals to your stomach that you’re full. Learn more about that here on my complimentary guide, “How to Lose Weight When Nothing Else is Working”.
5. It’s Good for Your Teeth – The bones, muscles and tendons holding your teeth get a ‘workout’ when you chew, helping to keep them strong. Plus, the saliva produced while chewing is also beneficial to the teeth. It can help to clear food particles from your mouth and wash away bacteria so there may be less plaque buildup and tooth decay.
6. Enjoy and Taste Your Food – The five senses of hearing, taste, smell, touch and sight play an integral role in the dining experience – probably more than you realize! If you rush through your meal with hardly any chewing, you’re also not really tasting or enjoying the food. When you take the time to properly chew your food, it forces you to slow down, savor each morsel and really enjoy all the flavors your food has to offer. Plus then you can enjoy the mood, lighting, colors, smells and the full experience of the food. Taking all this in is key to complete satisfaction in a meal.
I also have the following blogs to help you crush your Curvy Woman Health Goals:
- Unique Ways to Stop Cravings
- Stop Binge Eating | Food Freedom
- Secrets to Gaining Energy
- Tips on How to Eat for Plus Size Weight Loss
- Plus Size Weight Loss Tips Without Dieting, Part 1
- Plus Size Weight Loss Tips Without Dieting, Part 2
- Breaking the Diet Binge Cycle
- Habit Change Using Visualization for Weight Loss
- Curvy Plus Size Girl’s Guide to Holiday Stress
- Unique Ways to Heal Adrenal Fatigue
- FREE: A Health Coach’s Weekly Meal Plan and Shopping List
And of course, you should definitely register for my Freebie, How to Lose Weight When Nothing Else is Working, where I’ll share my top secret strategy to stopping weight loss resistance in its tracks. You will love it!
🍽 Chewing: How To Eat for
Plus Size Weight Loss 🍽
Chewing Suggestions Before Meal
- Wash hands
- Close computer and turn off smartphone or tablet
- Light a candle or play music you like
- Do an EBT check-in
- Give gratitude to your body for digesting this meal
- Set your timer for 20 minutes (or for as much time as you have)
- Take a bite of food
- Put utensil down
- Chew slowly (you can practice counting 30 chews)
- Pick up utensil and take another bite
- Put utensil down
- Chew slowly (you can practice counting 30 chews)
- Repeat until 80% full (aiming for energized, not full) Read my Blog on honoring your fullness here.
- Share what you appreciated about your meal (even if you’re dining alone)
- Clear dishes and rinse
- Talk a walk by yourself, with a pet or a loved one
My Final Tip Today… Get the Handout for Extra Help!
If you enjoyed this post and want to dive deeper, I invite you to download your free copy of “How to Lose Weight when Nothing Else is Working” . This is specifically about having a 20 minute meal, listen to the hunger signals and more. You don’t have to fight this battle alone anymore.
Click here for your FREE Guide to Food Freedom!
“How to Lose Weight When Nothing Else is Working”
It's Your Time!!!
It’s your time my friend, It’s time to be bold and take control back on your life and your health. Try these chewing tips today to help you feel revived, and download the “How to Lose Weight When Nothing Else Works”Guide.
Share this blog post with your friends and family. Let’s help other women break from from that tired overwhelmed feeling, so they can start confidently looking in the mirror and loving the woman smiling back.
Hi!! I am Angela Naumann, the Curvy Woman’s Health Coach. I have lived my life as a plus size woman, and I understand the journey and struggles that comes from yo-yo dieting and binge eating. I know how it feels to have jeans that won’t button, and shirts that gape at the belly. I know the internal battle that comes with feeling confident in yourself when you feel out of control with your body. I have felt that way for 20 years of my life.
But I found plus size weight loss is possible for me. I knew I longed for a few key things in my life. I wanted to not constantly think about food. I wanted to look in the mirror and feel confident, sexy and love the vision smiling back.
What people are saying….
“I’m nearing the end of my 12 week program, and although I was hesitant to open up and dig deep, I’m glad I did this! Angela has helped me peel back the layers to discover what’s been holding me back in progressing in my health journey. My mindset has done a complete 180! I don’t let food control my life, and it no longer hinders other areas outside of my health. I feel confident in making healthy choices, and that hasn’t always been the case. I’m beyond thankful for Angela and the encouragement she has given me. Putting all of her practices in place have truly helped me transform my health, and I’m thrilled for a healthier and happier me!”Kelsey
“I was hesitant to start “another program” for fear of yet another failure. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly Angela was able to help me change that mindset. It means so much to have someone like her by my side because she can actually relate to so many of my struggles. Her passion for helping others was immediately evident and put me at ease speaking openly. She helped me to dig deep and get to the root of so many struggles, some I wasn’t even aware of. I especially liked that she tailored our sessions to my personal needs and goals. I’ve learned so much about myself in the last 12 weeks that will serve me greatly for years to come. Thanks to Angela I no longer feel powerless.”Cydney