If you are:
- a woman over 40
- stressed out and anxious
- being controlled by sugar cravings
- struggling to not binge eat late at night
- need a plan not centered on exercise
- tired of dieting without success
- want to figure out what is stopping you and holding you back from having a body you feel confident about
- searching for unique ways to lose weight
- searching for ways to stop cravings
Then these tips and ideas are for you! They are the curvy woman’s unique ways to stop cravings. I’m here to help you kick the sugar habit without giving up sweetness, so you can experience a total transformation that gives you your best body, your best moods and your best life ever.
Today I am going to share why we have cravings. Then, I will offer you 7 ways to stop cravings that have helped me.
3 Causes of Sugar Cravings
1. Two Extremes
Traditionally we look at food and diets as calories and macros. But what if it is more?
Food can be fuel, but it can also be more. It has energetic qualities that go beyond science and nutrient values. For example: left greens have an upward lifting light feel, where root veggies provide a grounding feel.
Life is so often two extremes. Bliss and Tension, Sweet and Salty, Good and Bad, Hot and Cold….the list can go on.
Consider the activities of running, partying, staying up late, overworking, busy days, or extreme workouts, they can be contractive or tension filled activities on the body.
So, what does the body do when you begin experiencing a lot of tension filled activities. It will start to seek balance. But, how does it get that balance. It will seek the opposite, Pleasure.
That’s why after a long stressful day or a week of burning the candle at both ends, you find yourself turning to wine, chocolate, bread, or pasta.
Sugar Cravings are so often just your body seeking balance.
So the question to ask yourself in times of strong cravings is, “What is your body begging for: a break, sleep, a peaceful walk, a hot bath, a good book? This can be key when you’re searching for ways to stop cravings.
Let’s get real. We don’t want to kick sugar because if feels good! It gives us the feel good chemicals in the body. The problem is when the body releases insulin to bring the body back into balance after the blood sugar level shoots up. Most of the time, it doesn’t just bring us back into balance, but will bring it even lower than when it started.
You know this place. It’s the shaky, spaced out, uncomfortable feeling that comes when you ride the blood sugar rollercoaster. So to right that feeling what does our body do? Craves more sugar. It is an endless cycle, unless you get off the ride and find ways to stop cravings.
Let’s be honest! We all do it. Sometimes it is just easier to reach for sugar than it is to deal with the emotional and stressful problems of life.
So how can we move past that? What if cravings were a message from your body to help you step into the best version of yourself?
So on that thought, allow yourself to notice the feelings, the emotions and to process them the best you can. Dealing instead of avoiding can be a way to stop cravings.
New here? I also have the following blogs to help you crush your Curvy Woman Health Goals:
- Stop Binge Eating | Food Freedom
- Secrets to Gaining Energy
- Tips on How to Eat for Plus Size Weight Loss
- Plus Size Weight Loss Tips Without Dieting, Part 1
- Plus Size Weight Loss Tips Without Dieting, Part 2
- Breaking the Diet Binge Cycle
- Habit Change Using Visualization for Weight Loss
- Curvy Plus Size Girl’s Guide to Holiday Stress
- Have Your Cake: Plus Size Weight Loss and Food Freedom
- FREE: A Health Coach’s Weekly Meal Plan and Shopping List
7 Solutions and Ways to Stop Cravings
So What can you do about all the sugar cravings? Some real solutions that you can leave with today?
Here are 5 solutions that I found that helped me stop binge eating and find food freedom.
1. Sugar Craving Solution #1: Check Your Bevvies! Sounds crazy, but sometimes sweet cravings are a sign of dehydration. So pound a glass of water, wait 5 minutes and then see if you still have the craving. Also, too much caffeine mimics a blood sugar crash – you’re high for a bit but then you coming crashing down and crave….SUGAR, of course.
2. Sugar Craving Solution #2: Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth with Sweet Veggies, Fruit & Spices. Your tongue has sweet taste buds that demand to be satisfied, so don’t hold out on ‘em! Add naturally sweet foods & spices to your diet like squash, yams, carrots, beets, berries, figs, apples, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. Sugar Craving Solution #3: Sleep!
For many of us, this is easier said than done. But if you’re constantly tired, your body is going to look for energy, usually in the form or sugar or caffeine. Power down an hour earlier than usual, and notice how your cravings disappear.
4. Sugar Craving Solution #4: Check Your Protein.
This is a fun, cool fact – watch how much protein and what kind of protein you’re eating, especially animal protein. Eating too little animal protein can lead to massive sweet cravings. Eating too much animal protein can lead to sweet cravings. When I work with clients we find just the right sweet spot for protein intake so they feel satisfied.
5. Sugar Craving Solution #5: Sniff Out Low-Fat and Fat Free Foods.
When food manufacturers take the fat out of foods, what do they put in? Yep, sugar.
6. Sugar Craving Solution #6: Move Your Body.
Movement is another kind of food for your body. It releases stress, makes you feel great and look great. When you don’t get enough, the body starts to look for other ways to blow off steam, like binging on Snickers bars.
7. Sugar Craving Solution #7: Create New Post-Meal Rituals.
If you’re a “dessert after your meal” person, one of things you might love about that is the ritual of it. What are other possibilities for post-meal rituals?
Because my heart wants to help other curvy women like me I have created a Complimentary 10 page guide with my number one tip. Get it it here: ” How to Lose Weight When Nothing Else is Working“.
Once I applied all these solutions to my life consistently, I saw a change in my weight loss resistance. More than that, I had found as an over 40 woman some simple ways to stop cravings, lose weight, feel amazing in my skin, and to live with confidence.
It’s Your Time
It’s your time my friend, It’s time to be bold and take control back on your life and your health. Do one of these tips today to help you feel revived. Share this blog post with your friends and family. Let’s help other women break from from that tired overwhelmed feeling, so they can start confidently looking in the mirror and loving the woman smiling back.